Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Romantic Comedy

The presentations and discussions on Romantic Comedy was something of an eye-opener for me. While I've seen movies with this genre I never really considered the mechanics or formula behind it all. Traditional comedy, sex comedy, radical comedy, neotraditional comedy - all were terms that were new to me.
I knew that in most romantic comedies, men and women were in conflict with one another. This is often because of their values and goals in life. This could be attributed to how they are products of what society made them out to be. It's like everyone expects in the movie for the man to make a mistake, lose the girl, and then the rest of the movie is spent trying to win her back. While this might be true in the first traditional romantic comedies, this no longer is the rule.
In a sex comedy, as the name implies, the goal of the story is no longer to reach the end of the romance - the "marriage" and "sex". With the more excepted decision to have sex before marriage in the newer generations, there's more and more movies that have the characters reach a climax before the end. (Pun intended.)
I can't help but feel this is a result of the attitude change of the generation. With their differing values, its quite likely that producers and script writers are catering to appeal with the audience. However, it could be equally true that its because of audiences watching how acceptable sex is now, they are being wooed into making that their own beliefs. It's another case of the chicken before the egg conundrum.
Also, I was introduced to the movie "10." The scenes from the movie were quite interesting. I have not seen the entirety of the movie but I do know the general ending of it now. I still feel it fits more into the radical comedy with hints of neotraditional comedy. The way the man never married (even at the end of the story) and pursued the bride of a newlywed seems quite shocking for any other genres. Although he tries to have sex with the bride, he becomes disillusioned by her true nature. His imaginary ideal of her is shattered and his values seem to dip back into traditional ones. I'm not completely sure of what to categorize it as. Maybe it could be both.
Romantic comedies often are comprised of things that are shared with other rom-coms. Below is a chart that amused me when I went to look up "Romantic comedy" on google.


http://showtimeshowdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/romcom-formula.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment